Kozhukattai is a traditional recipe prepared with broken rice. Adding a healthy twist, I have tried it with cracked wheat and oats. Rich in fibre, this is a good breakfast option.
Cracked wheat & Oats kozhukattai:
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Standing time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 4
Recipe Category: Breakfast
Broken Wheat/Bulgur – 1 cup
Oats – 1 cup
Scraped Coconut – ¼ cup
Salt – as needed
Water – 3 cups
Coconut oil or Any refined oil – 1 tsp (I used coconut oil)
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli – 3
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Dry roast the broken wheat and oats till a nice aroma comes. Put it in a blender and blend it coarsely. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. After the oil is hot, temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chilli and asafoetida. After it splutters, add 4 cups of water, coconut and salt to taste. Bring to boil. Once the water starts boiling add the broken wheat and oats, mix well.
- Stir till all the moisture evaporates and broken wheat and oats are half cooked. Sprinkle some water if required. Switch off the heat
- Take water in a small bowl and use it while forming kozhukattai. Form kozhukattai when the half cooked wheat and oats are not too hot to handle. Let it not cool too much, at the same time. if required grease your hand in water to form Kozhukattai
- Grease the idli plate with little oil and place the Kozhukattai in mold. Steam the Kozhukattai for 12 – 14 minutes. Serve it with chutney
- I have used Cracked wheat, which is slightly larger than the regular broken wheat. If you are using smaller broken wheat, reduce water quantity accordingly
- For toddler friendly version can replace pepper Powder with red chilli
- Coriander Powder,Cumin power can be added for extra flavoring
Check my other Cracked wheat recipes,