Paruppu Usili is one of the traditional dishes prepared in our home. Though its a side dish, I like to mix it with rice. In our custom, without paruppu usili, a wedding meal is incomplete. Usili goes well with any rice accompaniment, but my personal choice is Usili with Venngaya Vetha kuzhambu, Milagu Kuzhambu, Enna kathirika Kuzhambu and Moor kuzhambu. Two types of lentils are typically used for preparing this.
Beans Paruppu Usili:
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Soaking time : 1 hour | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Side dish
Beans – 2 cups, chopped
Salt – as needed
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Chana Dal – 1/4 cup
Dried Red Chillies – 2 (Adjust according to your spice level)
Hing – a generous pinch
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal -1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a spring
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
- Soak toor dal and chana dal for atleast 1 hour (I soaked them in warm water)
- Wash and boil the the Beans and keep aside
- Drain water from the soaked dal and grind them along with red chillies, 1 tbsp of water, salt (for Dal) and hing, to a coarse mixture.
- Boil water in idli pan, grease the Idli plate and spread the coarse mixture on the plate and steam it for 6-7 minutes (like steaming idlies) and switch off
- Take the steamed dal and keep in a plate, and once they come to room temperature, crumble them with your hands (Can also pulse once in mixie) and set aside.
- Add oil to the pan, and once the oil is hot, add the items listed under ‘to temper’ and let them splutter. Add the crumbled Dal and saute till they are golden brown
- Add the cooked beans and mix well. Add required salt (For beans). Cook for 2-3 mins until the dal crumble combines well with the Beans
- Traditionally paruppu usili is done with cluster beans, but i have used green beans.
- Usili can also be prepared with bell pepper (Capsium), broccoli, vazhaipoo, cabbage etc