Rich and flavourful Payasam/ kheer prepared with carrots and almonds. Kheer can be prepared within 30 minutes. Pressure cooker makes it super fast and tasty. Carrot badam Kheer can be prepared for any Indian festival, special occasion, party etc.
As a kid, I was a picky eater when it came to vegetables. Don’t know why, but I always hated carrots and beetroots. Having a big sweet tooth, I accept these vegetables if it in dessert form. Amma frequently prepares sweets like beetroot halwa, carrot halwa and carrot Payasam.
Whenever I see beetroot and carrot in fridge, I always have this urge to prepare sweets. Now a days I have cut down the frequency but today being the first day of the tamil month Aadi (Aadi Friday in some places), thought of making this healthy and special payasam for the auspicious day.
Carrots combined with Almonds makes this Kheer super healthy. Making kids eat nuts is a big deal but I am sure if served as a dessert in the form of payasam it is a big yesss😋😋
Saffron not only compliments to the taste but also gives lovely color to the payasam. If you are looking for a party winning dessert, this is perfect. Condensed milk, whole fat milk and evaporated milk makes carrot vadam Kheer delicious and creamy.
Pressure cooker makes it so easy. Within 30 minutes the tasty payasam can be prepared. Cooker held for easy cooking of Carrots and almonds cooked in milk.
Whether you serve it chip or hot, carrot Payasam is always a winner✋️✋️
Carrot Almond Payasam:
Preparation Time : 5 min | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 4
Recipe Category: Dessert
Carrot – 4 medium peeled and cut into big chunks
Almonds – 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (I used whole, but if you don’t like the skin, blanch, remove skin and then use it)
Milk – 3 cup
Evaporated Milk – 1 can
Condensed milk – 3 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 2 pods
Almonds – few for garnish
Saffron – 1/8 tsp
Salt – pinch
- In a pressure cooker, add carrots, almonds, cardamom and 1 cup of milk, cook for 2-3 whistles and switch off. When it comes to room temperature blend then into fine puree
- In a sauce pan on medium flame add carrot puree and remaining milk, let them boil for 10 minutes. Add evaporated milk, condensed milk, salt and soaked saffron; Boil for 10 more minutes or till they became thick. Add sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes or till it is dissolved. Garnish with some sliced almonds. Serve hot or cold
- I have updated final picture recently. Have cooked payasam without Almond skin and so final picture payasam slightly different texture
- A saucepan can also be used instead of the pressure cooker. In a saucepan, take the chopped carrots, almonds (whole or blanched). Pour milk and cover. Boil till carrots are fork tender. Turn off the heat and let it cool
- Instead of grinding carrots, you can grate them and add. In that case skip cooking carrots with almonds, directly add carrot to the cooked and ground Almonds
- If you are vegan, use Almond milk to cook carrot
- Mini carrots can be used instead of regular carrots
- Instead of milk can cook carrot and almonds with water and can add milk while cooking Payasam
- Same procedure can be followed for beetroot payasam
- Pinch of food color can be used
- Same procedure can be followed for any kheer – Walnut, Cashew, Pistachio etc