Having a sweet tooth, I always prefer to have a little sugar in my plate while having breakfast. Seeing this, my mother in law used to prepare tomato jam exclusively for my breakfast purposes! I became so addictive to that and learnt the recipe from her. But seeing the sugar addition, I was alarmed, and so thought of trying Jam with honey instead of Sugar, like I did for Eggless Dry fruit and nut cake. My friend Lori was my inspiration in cooking with honey. We liked the taste of this jam, and I didn’t find any difference in taste between honey and sugar. This has now become my new way of preparing jam!
Firm and ripe Tomatoes – 10
Water – 3 tbsp
Honey – 3/4 cup (Adjust according to your sweetness)
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp (Optional)
- Add honey and water to the pan and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree to the honey syrup and stir it occasionally, till it thickens
- Cook till moisture is completely observed. Tomato and water should not run separately. If the jam is taken in a spoon, it should flow as a paste
- Allow the jam to cool completely. Store in an airtight container
- Sugar (White/Brown) can also be used instead of honey. Add sugar and water in a pan and cook till sugar melts completely
- Jam stays good upto a month
- Can also boil tomatoes and then blend that
- Agave nectar can be used instead of honey