Dried manga pickle is made by drying raw mango and cooked with spice mix. Cut mango urugai stays good for a months. Nothing can beat mango pickle and curd rice combo.
Pickles are something which I relish. Ever since childhood days I am not a big fan of lemon pickle so when it comes to pickles Mango is my personal choice. During summer for almost every meal my plate will have one among these pickles; maavadu, Mango Thokku, Dried Mango Pickle, Instant Mango Pickle.
Luckily this time I visited India during summer vacation and I am enjoying all homemade summer special recipes. My father like mixing pickle with rice and have it for one course. I got that habit from him. Irrespective of whatever rice accompaniment Amma makes , I loves mix pickle with rice first then eat the prepared dish.
Growing up I never had a intention to learn how to make pickles. All I do is eating eating eating. Now that I started cooking, I am interested. This time I was behind my Amma and was asking her to teach me.
Grandmother’s recipes are always best and this urugai is perfect example:-) It stays good for more than a month
Checkout my other pickle recipes,
Raw Mango – 4, washed, dried, peeled and cut
Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 2 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Asofetida – generous pinch
Fenugreek powder/ vendhayam (dry roasted and powdered) – 3/4 tsp
Sesame seed oil/ gingerly oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Add salt to the cut mangoes and keep in a container with a lid for 24 hours. Shake the container in between for 3-4 times
- Next day there will be salt – mango water in the container. Keep the water aside and dry the mango in a sheet without touching each other for 8-9 hours in a sunny place
- In medium flame add oil to the pan. when oil is hot add mustard seeds and asofetida and let it splutter. Add turmeric powder and salt – mango water and let it boil. When the water is boiling add the dried mangoes and add chilli powder, continue cooking in a medium flame till the water absorbs and oil separates
- Add fenugreek powder, mix well and switch it off
- Let the pickle cool completely and store it in a airtight container and refrigerate. It will stay good for more than a month if clean dry spoon is used
- Can dry mangoes for 2-3 days and prepare urugai in that case avoid step 1 and add salt while cooking urugai