Broccoli stir fry can be prepared within 10 minutes. Stir- Frued broccoli tasted great with fried rice. It can be enjoyed with plain white rice as well. If you are not a big fan of broccoli, try this stir fry the flavours makes you like this green crunchy delight.
Last year during Christmas holidays we went to California to meet my bro-in-law family. My co-sis is an amazing cook, and I have learnt a lot of recipes from her. She and her sisters write a food blog “The sisterhood pact“. She got me “Good Food Made Simple – Vegetarian” book. As the name suggests the recipes in the book are easy and I have been trying a lot from the book these days.
My husband loves broccoli, but I am not a big fan of broccoli. I tried it with fried rice and curry previously, but I try to cook like cauliflower and spoil its taste. Also whenever I see broccoli recipes in food network channel chefs retain the dark green color, mine broccoli would become light green after cooking.
Seeing the broccoli stir fry recipe from that book, I thought I will try this way without killing its texture. This Broccoli stir fry is the first dish I tried from that book. I read the recipe twice and wondered why no salt was added. Soy sauce replaced the salt well. Within 10 minutes Stir-fry was ready and yes this time I retained the color I always wanted 😄
Previously whenever I buy broccoli my husband always asks for Broccoli soup. Thanks to that book now he rely on my broccoli cooking and ask for one more dish.
As always lazy me kept postponing the post. Today Got Broccoli from grocery stores and thought its time to post the recipe and I can refer the blog nexttime 🙂
Broccoli – 2, cut into florets
Oil – 1 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp, to garnish
Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Cornstarch – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tbsp ( I used Brown sugar)
Ginger – 1 tsp, peeled and grated
Garlic – 2, peeled and finely chopped
Red chili flakes/ crushed red pepper flakes – 1/8 tsp
- In a bowl add all the ingredients listed under ” sauce” and let it sit for 5- 10 minutes
- Dry roast the white sesame seeds for a minute and set it aside
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat and when oil starts smoking add broccoli and stir- fry for 5-6 minutes (until they are firk tender)
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the sauce to the broccoli and cook for another 2-4 minutes, stirring continuously till the sauce thickens
- Add the toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately
- Instead of broccoli, cauliflower can be used or combination of both broccoli and cauliflower (from the book)
- Broccoli can be steamed until tender and cooked with sauce to reduce oil ( from the book)
- Yes there is no salt in the recipe, soy sauce gives the salty flavour. Taste it and add salt if needed