Avarakkai kootu (Broadbeans kootu) is prepared with broad beans and moongdal. It can be mixed with rice or used a side dish.
As rice is our staple food, cooking Rice Accompaniment is my biggest confusion. Their are some busy days (well lazy days;-)) when I feel like cooking a simple dish. During such time, Kootu is one default item, which comes to my mind.
Unlike Sambar, thaala kuzhambu, paruppu urundai Kuzhambu, Ennai Kathirikai Kuzhambu etc. Kootu doesnt involve various intermediate steps. Kootu is all about Cooking some vegetable with dal, boil it and add seasoning.
One more thing I love about kottu is, it’s a great one pot dish. Usually it is served as a side dish, but in our home we also like to mix kottu with rice and a dollop of ghee. For mixing with rice I prepare the kootu in a pourable consisteny, adjust the water according to the way serve it.
Poricha kottu is a type of kottu prepared with dal and veggies. For spice and flavour few ingredients are dry roasted and grinded, hence it got the name “Poricha (Poritha) kootu.
Avarakkai – 2 cup, trimmed and cut
Moong Dal/ Payatham Paruppu – 1/2 cup
Tumeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Asofetida – generous pinch
Salt – as needed
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli – 1 (Adjust according to your soice level)
Cumin seeds – 1/8 tsp
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Add Avarakkai and moong Dal with 1 cup water and keep it in pressure cooker; cook for 2 whistles
- Add the cooked avarakkai – moong, turmeric powder, asofetida, salt, required water (Add according to the consistency you desire the kottu) and let it boil
- Dry roast urad Dal, pepper, red chilli, cumin seeds till they are golden brown , add coconut and quickly stir. Switch and let it cool
- Add the ground mixture to the kootu and cook for 3-4 minutes in medium – low flame
2. Carrot, beans,potato,pumpkin, drumstick etc. can be added for poricha kottu
3. Turmeric powder can be added while cooking Dal and avarakkai
4. I generally soak dal in hot water for 20 minutes