Aval Pidi Kozhukattai is a tasty tiffin variety prepared with flattened rice. Kozhukattai is a traditional recipe prepared with broken rice, here is a light and healthy version. It serves as a great tiffin for breakfast/ dinner.
In our home we prefer having tiffin items for dinner. Aval Pidi Kozhukkatai is one common breakfast recipes prepared in home. Since I prefer It for dinner we want to cut down the rice intake.
Other Kozhukattai varieties in TMF,
Couple of days ago wanted to eat broken rice version but instead of using raw rice tried with flattened rice and liked the taste. It tasted similar to the traditional Kozhukattai prepared with Rice.
Arisi kurunai Adai can also be prepared with the same dough.
Flattened Rice/Aval – 2 cup
Scraped Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Curd – 1 tbsp (Optional)
Water – 2 cups
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli – 1 (Adjust according to your taste)
Ginger – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Pulse the Aval coarsely in a blender and Transfer to a plate
- Add oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chilli, green chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida. After it splutters, add 2 cups of water, coconut and salt. Bring to boil. Once the water starts boiling add curd and pulsed Aval
- Stir till all the moisture evaporates and Aval is half cooked. Sprinkle some water if required. Switch off the heat
- Form kozhukattai with it when they are not too hot to handle
- Steam them in a steamer or idly stand for 8 to 10 minutes