Ever since childhood days, whenever I think about Appam and idiyappam, since having a sweet tooth Amma usually makes coconut milk as side dish.
. Once we spent summer vacation at my Uncle’s place. My aunt cooked idiyappam and vegetable stew for breakfast and I loved it. From that day onwards I started cooking stew as an alternate side dish option to coconut milk for Aappam and idiyappam.
Preparation Time : 10 min | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 3
Recipe Category: Side dish
Carrot – 3 peeled and cut into slightly big chunks
Potato – 2 peeled and cut into big chunks
Beans – 10, abut 1 inch
Cauliflower – 1/2, cut into florets
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1, sliced finely
Green chilly – 2 (Adjust According to your spice level)
Ginger- 1 tbsp, julian
Whole black pepper – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Cinnamon – 1/2 stick
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 2
Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
Thick coconut milk – 3/4 cup
Curry leaves – few
Salt – as needed
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
For coconut Milk:
I used shredded frozen coconut, so used 2 cups of coconut. Add water to the coconut and grind it. Filter the grinded coconut, and the resultant milk is the thick coconut milk. Add water once again to the coconut residue and grind once more. Filter it again, and the resultant milk is the thin coconut milk.
- Add 1 tsp of oil to another pan. Add Whole spices, ginger, and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add green chilli and cook till onions become translucent
- Add the cubed vegetables & combine well. Add thin coconut milk & salt, bring to boil, simmer and cook till vegetables are cooked. Add thick coconut milk and cook for 5 more minutes and switch off.
- As I didnt add any thickening agent, vegetable stew is not thick like other gravy. However if you want it to be thick, you can add flour paste (All purpose flour/rice flour with water) or cashew paste. Add them after adding thick coconut milk
- Can add garlic along with ginger
- I used homemade coconut milk, but coconut milk bought from stores can also be used. If you are using the coconut milk from store, add little water to make the milk thinner