Zucchini Poriyal | Zucchini Thoran with step by step picture and video. Check out the Zucchini poriyal video and if you like the video pls SUBSCRIBE to my channel
Zucchini Poriyal is a quick and tasty side, made in South Indian style. Right from cutting vegetables to making the Poriyal it takes less than 15 minutes. Perfect for busy days.
l are something which often happens in my kitchen.
Few years back I have posted Zucchini Thogayal. That time I was doing other Zucchini based dishes too but don’t know why I have never posted it. Recently when mom saw Zucchini in fridge she got confused it with cucumber that time when I was explaining her about Zucchini I realized it is been a while since I made fusion recipes with it.
Checkout other interesting Poriyal varieties in TMF
I love quick and simple dishes like this. Right from cutting vegetables to cooking the Poriyal end to end it didn’t take more than 10 minutes. For a last minute cooking this zucchini Poriyal comes so handy.
When I decided to make Zucchini Poriyal I was thinking how to make it. With coconut/ with onion/ /with some rice flour?, Zucchini reminded me other fast cooking Indian vegetable so I decided to make thoran like how Amma cooks chow chow Poriyal.
Zucchini has a slight touch of sweetness so some people might like making it spicy. My son’s spicy tolerance is very less and I always prefer cooking common cooking for all. Now a days I even try to give most of our everyday cooking to my 1 year daughter so I have made this Poriyal less spicy.
🍽 10 minutes Poriyal
🍽South Indian style curry
🍽Kids friendly spice level
🍽 beginner friendly recipe
Zucchini Poriyal | Zucchini Thoran
- Zucchini - 350 grams
- Turmeric powder - pinch
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Coconut - 25 grams
- Pepper powder - pinch
- Coconut oil - 4 grams
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli - 1
- Curry leaves - few
- Hing - generous pinch
- Add coconut oil to the pan and when the oil is hot add mustard and let it splutter
- Add cumin seeds , hing, red chili and curry leaves; sauté
- Add diced zucchini, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder; mix well and cook in medium flame
- Cook till zucchini turns soft (it takes 2/3 minutes)
- Add grated coconut and pinch of pepper powder; sauté for a minute and switch off
- Coconut oil gives a nice flavor to coconut-based dishes. Any oil can be used instead
- Avoid covering and cooking zucchini. Zucchini might turn soggy in that case
- Add salt initially and cook. If salt is added toward the end Poriyal might become soggy
- Adjust the spice according to your taste. Green Chilli can be ground and added along with coconut for additional spice
- Channa dal/ urad dal can be tempered along with mustard seeds. I usually do but forgot while taking the video
- Pair the Poriyal with kara Kuzhambu for a tasty combo
Zucchini - 350 grams
Turmeric powder - pinch
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt - as needed
Coconut - 25 grams
Pepper powder - pinch
Coconut oil - 4 grams
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli - 1
Curry leaves - few
Hing - generous pinch
How to make Zucchini Poriyal with step by step pictures
- Add 4 grams of coconut oil to the pan and when the oil is hot add 1/2 teaspoon of mustard and let it splutter
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds , generous pinch of hing, 1 red chili and few curry leaves; sauté
- Add diced 350 grams of zucchini, pinch of turmeric powder, required salt, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder; mix well and cook in medium flame
- Cook till zucchini turns soft (it takes around 2/3 minutes)
- Add 25 grams of grated coconut and pinch of pepper powder; sauté for a minute and switch off
it has come good, just made it!