Banana pidi Kozhukattai is a healthy sweet Kozhukattai prepared with banana. It is a good toddler friendly recipe.
Kozhukattai is a traditional south Indian delicacy prepared in both sweet and savory versions. There was a stage when my son started preferring foods which he can hold and eat. Paniyaram was my instant saver on many days. One day I prepared Savory pidi Kozhukattai for us and he liked.
Knowing the fact he loves sweets and to include banana into his diet, generally I prepare sweet pidi Kozhukattai with jaggery and banana.
Other Kozhukattai varieties in TMF,
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Banana – 1 cup puree from two banana
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt – pinch
Oil/ Ghee – to grease
- Soak jaggery in luke warm water for 20 minutes (Time depends on the size of the cut jaggery). Strain to remove impurities
- In heavy bottomed pan add the jaggery syrup and cardamom powder and bring it boil. Add the banana puree and cook for 2 minutes
- Add rice flour and salt to the jaggery syrup – banana puree and mix well to avoid lumps. Cook til the dough separates from the pan and forms a mass
- Keep it aside till you can handle the dough. Cover it with a damp cloth
- Grease the hand with little water, take a small portion of Kozhukattai and make it into cylindrical shape
- Grease the idli mould with little oil. Steam kozhukattai in idli stand or pressure cooker for 8 to 10 minutes.
- I used store brought rice flour, instead homemade rice flour can also be used
- The water quantity depends on the rice flour so adjust accordingly