Mango thokku is a easy thokku prepared with raw mango. Raw mango pickle stays good for weeks.
Manga urugai is one of my favorite pickles. When I was in India every summer Amma prepared a variety of pickle and keep it in a fridge . I use one or two during every meal. After coming to US Initially I just make Pulikachal and Tomato thokku.
Other pickles I buy from the stores. This time I visited India during summer so get to see the way how Amma prepared pickles.Seeing the way how easy mango thokku is I wanted to note down the recipe and try it.
Decided to do it homemade from now on. Infact after seeing the way my Amma prepared thokku, I regertted why I opted to buy instead of doing this quick and simple pickle.
I finished all the pickles she prepared in no time. My neighbour aunty gave some more raw mango from her garden. I asked Amma to prepare Mango thokku and Mango Urugai and took some pictures from my phone 🙂 Here is the recipe for easy homemade thokku. Urugai recipe coming soon.
Checkout my other pickle recipes,
Mango grated – 4 , (small, around 2 cups) peeled and grated
Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
Chilli powder – 3 tbsp (Adjust according to your spice level)
Salt – as needed
Asofetida – generous pinch
Fenugreek powder/ vendhayam (dry roasted and powdered) – 3/4 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame seed oil – 1/3 cup
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds in a pan for 30 – 35 seconds, avoid over browning; let it cool. Grind it and Keep it aside.
- In medium flame add oil to the pan. When oil is hot add mustard seeds and asofetida and let it splutter. Add turmeric powder and grated mango and cook for a minute
- Add chilli powder and salt to it and continue cooking till the oil separates, mixing occasionally
- Add fenugreek powder, mix well and switch it off
- Let the Thokku cool completely and store it in a airtight container and refrigerate. It will stay good for more than a month if clean dry spoon is used