Tomato onion chutney is my favorite among all chutneys. I call it red chutney. I never get bored of it. Easy to prepare and tastes yummy with many dishes.
Ever since childhood days Thakkali vengaya chutney is my favorite. Extra idli/dosai will go if Amma preapres this chuntey. Usually Amma saute onion then tomato; let it cool and grind it but this version is my neighbour aunty recipe.
Aunty call it “Sammandhi Chutney”. One day when talking with Amma she told that idli and tomato chutney is for breakfast. Amma told her that I like tomato chutney. Immediately she gave me one box. I enjoyed that chuney and loved the bright red color. Amma asked her how she prepared it and she gave this recipe.
Check out other Chutey/thogayal in TMF,
- Thengai Thogayal
- Paruppu Thogayal
- kothamalli Vidhai Thogayal
- Beetroot thogayal
- chow chow Thogayal
- Vengaya Thogayal
- Sutta Kathirikai Chutney
- Zucchini Thogayal
Good thing about this chutney is no continuous stirring, grind everything together and boil. When I posted this recipe I use to prepare this way.
Tomato onion chutney stays good 2-3 days. You can prepare it during weekend and use it during the week which makes it simple for busy morning.
- Tomato - 3
- Onion - 3
- Red Chilli - 2
- Salt – as needed
- Sugar - a pinch optional
- To temper:
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
- Chop onion and tomato into big cubes and add into a blender, along with red chilli. Grind to a smooth paste without adding water
- Add oil to a pan and after the oil is hot, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’. Pour the ground paste and add salt. Mix well
- Cook in medium flame for 15 mins or until the chutney reduces to half, and gets the desired consistency
- Instead of grinding and cooking onion and tomato, can even cook and then grind
- Garlic can be used for extra flavour
- For pressure cooker method, put all the ingredients listed expect tempering in pressure cooker, without adding water cook for 1 whistle, release steam immediately. let it cool; grind it. chutney is ready.