Tomato onion chutney is my favorite among all chutneys. I call it red chutney. I never get bored of it. Easy to prepare and tastes yummy with many dishes.
Ever since my childhood days, Thakkali vengaya chutney is my favorite. Extra idli/dosai will go if Amma prepares this chutney. Usually, Amma saute onion and then tomato; let it cool and grind it but this version is my neighbor aunty's recipe.
Aunty call it "Sammandhi Chutney". One day when talking with Amma she told me that idli and tomato chutney is for breakfast. Amma told her that I like tomato chutney. Immediately she gave me one box. I enjoyed that chutney and loved the bright red color. Amma asked her how she prepared it and she gave this recipe.
FEW THOGAYAL VARIETIES ARE POSTED IN TMF,
- Thengai Thogayal
- Paruppu Thogayal
- kothamalli Vidhai Thogayal
- Beetroot thogayal
- Mint Chutney
- Vengaya Thogayal
- Sutta Kathirikai Chutney
- Zucchini Thogayal
- Kollu thogayal
The good thing about this chutney is no continuous stirring, grind everything together and boil. When I posted this recipe I use to prepare this way.
Tomato onion chutney stays good for 2-3 days. You can prepare it during the weekend and use it during the week which makes it simple for a busy mornings.
- Tomato - 3
- Onion - 3
- Red Chilli - 2
- Salt – as needed
- Sugar - a pinch optional
- To temper:
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Hing - a generous pinch
- Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
- Chop onion and tomato into big cubes and add into a blender, along with red chilli. Grind to a smooth paste without adding water
- Add oil to a pan and after the oil is hot, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’. Pour the ground paste and add salt. Mix well
- Cook in medium flame for 15 mins or until the chutney reduces to half, and gets the desired consistency
- Instead of grinding and cooking onion and tomato, can even cook and then grind
- Garlic can be used for extra flavour
- For pressure cooker method, put all the ingredients listed expect tempering in pressure cooker, without adding water cook for 1 whistle, release steam immediately. let it cool; grind it. chutney is ready.
Sugar and Cinnamon
This looks so easy to make and tasty!
Traditionally Modern Food
Thanks 🙂 would like to hear from you, if u try it