Pachai Payaru Vella Sundal | Green gram sweet sundal| Pasi paruppu sundal | payatham paruppu sundal | moong dal sundal | sundal recipe | Navaratri sundal step by step pictures and video recipe. You can also check out the Pachai Payaru Vella Sundal recipe. If you like this recipe pls SUBSCRIBE to my channel and check out other Sundal varieties in TMF
Green mung bean sundal | Sweet sundal | Vella sundal | Inipu sundal | moong bean sundal | pachai payaru sundal is a sweet sundal prepared with jaggery, moong dal, and coconut.
Pachai Payaru Vella Sundal is mostly prepared during Navaratri time. If you have leftover cooked green gram dal this Inipu Sundal
Should I soak green gram?
Soaking is optional. If you don't soak green gram avoid using the separator. pressure cooker the green gram directly in the cooker
Should I cook moong bean mushy?
To make sundal toddler friendly I have soaked some beans slightly mushy. you can adjust the number of whistles according to your preferred jaggery texture.
Can I use regular water to prepare jaggery water?
I prefer using green gram cooked water but you can use regular water and prepare jaggery syrup
Can I reduce jaggery?
Yes, you can alter jaggery according to your taste. You can also use karupatti instead of jagger. if you are planning to use sugar reduce the water
Can I make a vegan Pachai Payaru Vella Sundal?
Yes, ghee is optional for the moong bean sundal. To make it flavorful I add ghee.
Pachai Payaru Vella Sundal / Green Moong Bean Sweet Sundal / Green Gram Sweet
- Pachai Payaru / Green Moong bean - 3/4 cup
- Jaggery /Vellam - 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp Adjust according to your sweetness
- Cardamom Powder - 1/8 tsp or 2 pods
- Salt - pinch
- Grated Coconut fresh/frozen - 2 tablespoon + 1 tsp
- Butter/Ghee - 1/2 tbsp optional
- Soak green gram in hot water for 3-4 hours or overnight in regular water; strain it
- Cook with 1 cup + 1/2 of water and pinch of salt in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles
- Soak jaggery (make small pieces to speed up the process) in 1/4 cup of hot water, After the jaggery completely melts in water, strain the impurities
- In a pan, add jaggery syrup and cardamom powder; bring to boil
- Add cooked green moong bean to the boiling jaggery syrup and continue cooking
- Add coconut and continue cooking till the jaggery syrup is completed absorbed. Add butter towards the end and cook till it becomes Sundal consistency
- Jaggery can be cooked in water, instead of soaking it in hot water for removing impurities
- Butter is optional can skip it for vegan version
- Adding salt while cooking green gram is optional. It prevents the Dal from mushing
1/2 cup Pachai Payaru | Green gram | Moong bean
1+1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Ghee
1/2 cup Jaggery |Vellam (Adjust according to your sweetness)
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (or 2 pods)
1/4 cup Grated Coconut (fresh/frozen)
Ghee - 1/2 tablespoon (optional)
How to make a green gram sundal with step by step pictures:
- Add green gram, water, and ghee to a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 whistles and turn down the flame to the lowest setting and cook for 2 minutes
- After pressure release naturally, place the colander on a wide vessel and add cooked green gram
- Keep moong bean aside and save the green gram cooked water for jaggery syrup
- Add jaggery to the hot gram cooked water and melt jaggery. If jaggery are big pieces, microwave/cook in stovetop and prepare jaggery water
- Filter and add jaggery water, coconut, and cardamom powder and boil
- Add cooked green gram and ghee, mix well
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until jaggery water is well absorbed