Varalakshmi Vratham Recipes | Varalakshmi Vratam procedure | Varalakshmi pooja | naivedhyam recipes. This year varalakshmi vratham is celebrated on Friday, 20th August 2021. Subscribe to Traditionallymodernfood YouTube. Check out the Indian tiffin combo, Indian lunch combo, and festival special recipe for everyday combo cooking ideas.
Varalakshmi Vratham Recipes | Varalakshmi Vratam procedure | Varalakshmi pooja | naivedhyam recipes is a traditional Indian festival. On this auspicious day, Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped. According to Hindu mythology, Goddess Lakshmi takes 8 different forms known as Ashtalakshmi. Varalakshmi vratham is “Performing poojai for Goddess Lakshmi to get her blessings/boon”.
When is Varalaxmi Vratham performed?
Varalakshmi Vratham | Varamahalakshmi poojai Procedures| Varalakshmi Pooja is performed by south Indian women (Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Karnataka - Correct me if I am wrong). Usually, Pooja is celebrated on a Friday, before the full moon day, in the Tamil Month Aadi/Avani | Telugu month Shravana | shravana Masam. Reader Pranita says, "Maharashtra we do Mahalaxmi puja on each Friday in shrawan month. It's slightly different" . If for some reason you are not able to perform the poojai, you can perform it next Friday.
Who does varalaksmi poojai?
Married elder women in the house perform the poojai. Varalakshmi virtham thread is tied to the right hand. Traditionally after the poojai husband ties the varalalshmi poojai thread to the wife. For unmarried women and girls, elder women tie the thread.
How do we perform Varalaksmi vratham?
For my wedding, my parents got me a Varalakshmi Amman mugham (face) and kalasam for me to do Pooja. My mother-in-law prepare poojai with Amman mugham, kalasam, and Amman photo, I follow the same. Follow your family tradition and perform Varamahalaksmi poojai.
Every family has its way of performing poojai. I am sharing the procedure we follow in our home. This is how I do the Pooja (Dear Readers, feel free to share your Pooja experience, I will be happy to update it in my post). Since I am in the US, based on the things I get here my procedure slightly deviates from usual
When is Varalakshmi vratham in 2021?
This year varalakshmi vratham is celebrated on Friday, 20th August 2021.
Pooja procedure on Thursday
- Mix water and turmeric powder in a runny consistency, Apply it over the coconut surface, and let it dry completely
- In my Pooja room, I put kolam on a small plate (As we have carpet I put kolam on the plate. For hardwood floor you can directly. put the kolam )
- In a small stool/palagai (wooden planks) place banana leaf/ Blouse bit
- Spread little Akshadai (Rice + turmeric powder) over it
- Place the Sombhu. Add sandhanam ( Sandhal Powder + little water ) and kumkum for Sombhu
- Add rice, moong dal, coin, turmeric, lemon, jaggery, and kaathu ola karukamani (I got it from Giri traders Chennai) inside the Sombhu
- Keep fresh /artificial mango leaves like lotus petals in the sombhu
- Place the coconut over the sombhu ( Make sure the turmeric powder - water is completely dry, to avoid the yellow layer around the sombhu:-)). Kalasam is ready
- Place the Amman in the Kalasam (fix the Amman stand into the coconut) and tie the back tightly
- In the evening do aarti and offer Manjal (Yellow) Pongal or any prasadam to god as Naivediyum
They say shouldn't (Preferably) get up in the middle of pooja, so I generally keep all the things ready for Pooja.
- Betel leaves
- Paaku (Supari)
- Flowers (which I get here, though Arali is auspicious sometimes can't find it here)
- Neivadiyam items (Prasadam for Amman)
- Nombu Saradu (Holy yellow rope with a small flower tied in each rope)
- pooja items
- Karpura thattu
- Pancha pathiram
Inviting and Decorating Amman
- Gently take the wooden plank/stool in which Amman is there, near the house entrance (Preferably in the east direction, facing inside the home)
- Do aarti and naivediyum with some fruits
- Invite Amman ( we call Amman Azhaikanum). Gently bring the wooden plank/ stool (with Amman) into Pooja room or the place where you decide to keep the Amman by singing "Varalakshmi Ra Ve Ma Intiki" song (Usually I ask my husband to put this song from YouTube and sing along, as I am not fully familiar with lyrics)
- Place the Amman in a mandapam or stool or wooden plank
- Decorate Amman (I got Amman pavadai, jeedai, maalai, accessories from India which I generally Use). Use flowers for decoration
- My Amma got me a book that has the slogans for a collection of pooja. I generally read the varalaskmi slogam from that book. Heard from friends that slogam is also available on the internet. I was told to do pooja for Vinayagar first then for Amman and I follow that
- After the pooja, I do neivedhyam and deepaarathanai
Naivedhya| Neivedhya Items we prepare for Pooja
- Paruppu Payasam or Kadala paruppu payasam
- Vella kozhukattai
- uppu Kozhukattai
- Ulundhu vadai/ medu vada
- Pacha Arisi Idli
- Kondaikadalai Sundal(Chickpeas sundal)
- White cooked rice
- Puliyodarai | Lemon rice
- Coconut, broken
The meal I made for last year’s Varalakshmi poojai
Tie Yellow Thread
- On a plate, take coconut, kumkum, turmeric, betel leaves, paaku, and nombu saradu. Before marriage my Mom use to tie the yellow thread in my right hand, now my husband does the honor 🙂
- Namaskaram session for God and elders
- Enjoy the prasadam
- Lamp deepam. invite friends to home and give tamboolam. (In India I have seen guests singing songs in praise of Laskmi and Give channa dal sundal prasadam to the guest)
- Generally, ladies skip rice for dinner. They have the prasadam item for dinner (Idli, kozhukattai, Appam). Pregnant women and new moms take exceptions.
- Fruit Neivedhyam for Amman and chant slogam.
- Evening do one round of aarthi, put flowers in Amman's feet. Gently move the kalasam to the east direction (Reader Varsha suggested, Amman is also moved towards the north direction). After sometime place the kalasam with Amman - inside the rice container
- The next day takes the kalasam from the rice container and keeps the Amman and sombhu, covered for next year. Coconut is generally used for preparing payasam/ coconut burfi
Frequently asked questions
🌺 My Varalakshmi mandapam, kaathu ola karukamani, and artificial banana tree are from Giri trading, Chennai (#notasponsoredpost).
Can we keep the Amman on the ground?
No, avoid keeping the kalasam directly on the ground. You can use stool or palagai or amazon box table or any raised surface
How long should I dry coconut?
After applying turmeric water, I dry it to avoid yellow traces on the sombu. I generally keep the coconut on a paper towel to dry. If you are running late, you can even pat the coconut 2 or 3 times with a kitchen towel then use it.
I don’t get a banana leaf, what can I do?
You, can use a new blouse bit or use any unused cloth piece (or the one you can use every year )
What is Akshadai? How much turmeric powder should I use?
Akshadai is a (rice and turmeric powder) combo. No proportion, I just mix a little turmeric powder into rice till rice turns yellow.
What is kaathu ola karukamani, where to get it / can I skip?
If you don’t have it add other items and skip them.
Can I skip mango leaves?
If you get it, use it as it is auspicious but skip if you can’t find it. Few years go I got artificial mango leaves (one I use for mandapam)
Suggest some ways to put kolam on the carpet area?
My Pooja room has carpet so generally, I use a kolam sticker (just place it during pooja). I keep Stone rangoli set on a plate (I got it from dollar tree). I also put a small Arisi Maavu kolam on a plate
Disclaimer: I have shared the experience based on how we do in our home. Every tradition is different so ignore if something is irrelevant to you
Pls. Follow TMF social media for recipes updates,